Building on the past for future generations

JOSEPH NOBLE 1802-1852

As the founding father of Maple and Nobleton, Joseph Noble and his older brother Thomas arrived in Canada from County Tyrone, Ireland sometime before 1837. The visionary Joseph bought a parcel of land at the crossroads of what is now 14th Sideroad and 9th Concession. Joseph soon expanded his holdings to include a large parcel at the present southeast corner of Keele and Major Mackenzie. The area became known as Noble’s Corners or Nobleville after Joseph. The name volleyed back and forth between Rupertsville (after a prominent doctor), Lammer Moor and Noblesville and finally Nobelton, where brother Thomas was the first Postmaster. Nobleton is still called that to this day. Joseph prospered as a merchant here gaining notoriety as a rebel after participating in the William Lyon Mackenzie uprising of December 1837. Joseph married, had children and grandchildren. By 1853 The Ontario, Huron and Simcoe railroad began to run. A station was located in the village and it was called Richmond Hill. New prosperity arrived to both the village and to Joseph. Joseph died in 1868. One of his grandchildren was Lord Beaverbrook, an international business tycoon writer and politician in the UK parliament. The area at Noble’s Corners was changed in the early 1900s when the CNR bough the railway line and changed the station there to Maple.

Presentation Centre
9986 Keele St. Maple, Ontario

Noble Square Presentation Centre